Find Your Perfect Home
If you are in the market for your perfect rental home, you have come to the right place. As a prospective tenant, we can help you through the process of finding and applying for the home of your dreams.
Resources to Make Your Stay Comfortable
For our current residents we have a complete set of tools and procedures to make your stay with us more comfortable and rewarding. Log into your TENANT PORTAL to submit maintenance requests and pay your rent conveniently online.
Lease Application Criteria+
Before you apply for a lease, please read the following information concerning the approval process. If you have questions, please ask before applying. Once submitted, application fees are not refundable.
Application Process & Screening Criteria
Red Wagon Realty is committed to equal housing and we fully comply with the Federal Fair Housing Act (FFHA). We do not discriminate against persons because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, national origin, or age. We also comply with all state and local fair housing laws. We offer application forms to everyone who requests one. Each individual over the age of 18 must complete an application and pay the application fee.
Approval is based on six factors listed below:
- credit history
- employment verification/history
- income verification
- rental history or mortgage payment history
- criminal background check
- terrorist database search
Our minimum credit score requirement is 600 or better. If all other criteria passes we will accept credit scores between 550 and 599 with a security deposit equal to 1 1/2 (one and a half) times the rental rate and a non refundable Risk Fee of $300.00.
Employment Verification/History & Income Verification
Income should be equal or greater than 3 times the monthly rental rate and verified through pay stubs, tax returns, and/or bank statements. Self-employed income may also be verified with a CPA-prepared financial statement or tax return. Your employment history should reflect at least 6 months with your current employer. Transfers or relocations must have correspondence showing an accepted job offer.
To combine your income with another applicant in order to prove income equal or greater than 3 times the monthly rental rate, there are three possible scenarios in which we would consider this:
- you and the co-applicant are married
- you and the co-applicant must demonstrate that you have combined finances by providing 6 months of bank statements displaying both names on the bank account
- you and the co-applicant must demonstrate that you have combined finances by providing 2 years of income tax returns filed jointly with the IRS
You must have good rental history or mortgage payment history for the last 5 years. Rental history must be verified directly from your past Landlords. You will be asked to provide us with their contact information (e-mail or fax). Evictions on record within the previous 5 years will be automatic grounds for denial. Broken leases will be considered on a case-by-case basis and an additional security deposit may be required.
Criminal Background Check
We will not rent to anyone with a conviction for an aggravated crime or to any person required to register as a sex offender. They must not be found on any terrorist database search. Other criminal history issues will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Rental Criteria for Pets
Red Wagon accepts two pets maximum per rental property unless the property is specifically advertised with pet restrictions. Call the office at (210) 695-1100 for additional information on aggressive breeds.
What we need from you!+
The following items are required from you before we can begin processing your application:
Proof of Income
Pay stubs (most recent 3 months)
-or- Tax returns (especially necessary if you are self-employed)
-or- Bank statements (most recent 3 months)
-or- LES statement
-or- Correspondence showing an accepted job offer
Military orders (if applicable)
Signed Authorization Form (will be sent to you once you submit your application)
Past landlord contact information (for last 5 years) or past mortgage payment history (for last 5 years).
"A security deposit paid using certified funds (cashier's check or money order) is also required before we send you any lease documents. The amount of the security deposit will usually be equal to the rental rate, but may be increased to 1 1/2 times the rental rate for lower credit scores. If you do not know the amount you can contact our office at (210) 695-1100."
What do I need to move in? +
We collect a refundable security deposit typically equal to one month's rent. Out of the security deposit, $75.00 will be retained for a third party move-out inspection conducted after you vacate the property. The rest is refundable according to the terms of your lease agreement and in accordance with Texas Property Code.
Note: In some cases the security deposit will be increased and a non refundable Risk Fee assessed (see Lease Application Criteria at the top of the page).
Approved pets require a Non Refundable Pet Fee of $300 per pet. Note: This fee may be different for some properties and not all properties allow pets. Please contact our office if you do not know the pet policy for the property you are interested in renting.
We collect and hold a non-refundable cleaning fee at the beginning of your lease. This fee is used to professionally clean the home and carpets when you vacate the home. The amount of this fee is based on the square footage of the home:
$375.00 - 0 - 2,000 sq ft
$475.00 - 2,001 - 3,000 sq ft
$575.00 - 3,001 & up
Renter's Insurance Policy
We require all tenants to have a Renter's Insurance Policy. Red Wagon Properties must be named as Additional Insured on this policy. A copy of this policy proving we are named as Additional Insured will be required prior to picking up keys.
Pet Insurance Policy
In some cases we may require Pet Insurance for your pet to be approved. A copy of this policy showing Red Wagon Properties named as Additional Insured will be required prior to picking up keys.
In most cases tenants are required to maintain all utilities during their lease term. For your convenience we've partnered with 360 Home Connect who will reach out to you when you've signed a lease to help you get utilities set up. It will not cost you anything to have them help you with this, so we encourage you to take advantage of this service! They can also help you with internet, cable, alarm services, etc. Here is a list of common utility providers for your convenience, in case you prefer to call these companies directly. Red Wagon does not keep record of which companies provide services to which properties.
P.O. Box 1771
San Antonio, TX 78296
(210) 353-2222 - regular business hours
(210) 353-4357 - 24-hr emergency line
CITY OF NEW BRAUNFELS UTILITIES
301 Main Plaza, Suite 367
New Braunfels, TX 78130
(830) 660-4765 - regular business hours
CITY OF CONVERSE WATER
403 S Seguin Rd
Converse, TX 78109
(210) 658-1965 - regular business hours
(210) 658-2322 - after hours emergency line
CITY OF SELMA UTILITIES
9375 Corporate Dr
Selma, TX 78154
(210) 651-6661 - regular business hours
It is a tenant responsibility to obtain new mailbox keys for your new rental home. You will need to take your signed copy of the lease to your local post office. If you have any questions about the process you can contact USPS at 1-800-ASK-USPS.
Important Tenant Responsibilities+
As a tenant, you have a responsibility to maintain the rental property as if you owned the property yourself - within reason. Examples of these responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Keep the property clean & sanitary
- Promptly dispose of all garbage in appropriate receptacles
- Supply and replace all light bulbs, florescent tubes and batteries for smoke alarms, CO detectors, garage door openers, ceiling fan remotes, and other devices (of the same type and quality that are in the property on the commencement date).
- Maintain appropriate levels of necessary chemicals or matter in any water softener
- Take action to promptly eliminate any dangerous condition on the property
- Take all necessary precautions to prevent broken water pipes due to freezing or other causes
- Replace any lost or misplaced keys
- Pay any periodic, preventative or additional extermination costs desired
- Remove any standing water
- Know the location and operation of the main water cut-off valve and all electric breakers and how to switch the valve or breakers off at appropriate times to mitigate any potential damage.
- Water the foundation of the property at reasonable and appropriate times
- Maintaining the lawn and any plants on the property
- Routinely changing HVAC air filters
- Lighting your pilot when starting your heater for the winter
- Replacing any filters in refrigerators, filtration systems or other purifying systems
- Handling normal plumbing blockages (clogged drains, clogged toilets, etc)
- Adhering to all Home Owners Association (HOA) rules
- Promptly notify Red Wagon, in writing, of all needed repairs
The best way to pay your rent is through your TENANT PORTAL. You will need to add a valid checking account in order to send payments through this system. Please click this link below to sign in. There is a nominal bank transaction charge when paying rent online.
Mail Or Drop Off Payment:
If you choose to make payment by check, cashier's check or money order be advised that we do charge a $10 check cashing fee for any paper payments. We do NOT accept cash. Be sure to include this $10 fee at the time of payment.
You may mail or drop off your payment to our office. If you choose to mail your payment you need to send it 3-5 business days in advance to ensure it reaches us on or before the 3rd. The postmarked date is NOT taken into consideration when assessing late fees. If you bring the payment in person you need to bring it during office hours as we do NOT provide an after hours dropbox. Our office is located at:
Red Wagon Properties
16719 Huebner Rd, Bld 2
San Antonio, TX 78248
Please note: if you drop payment by our office be sure we are there to give you a receipt. Simply leaving your payment is NOT a secure or valid way to pay your rent. Red Wagon is not responsible for any lost, stolen or misplaced payments.
Here at Red Wagon we want to be as available to our residents as possible. Per your lease, all repair requests must be in writing. Here are the ways you may report an issue:
Log into your TENANT PORTAL to submit a repair request. Please be specific and include any photos to help explain the issue.
E-mail your requests to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your name, property address, unit number, and a phone number so we can address your concerns as efficiently as possible.
Some requests may be too urgent (i.e. large water leaks) for a written request. In these cases, you may contact our repair line at (210) 549-RED1 (7331). ALWAYS LEAVE A DETAILED MESSAGE. This number may also be used for after hours and weekend emergencies. Please note that if you call after hours and do NOT leave a detailed message about your emergency, your call will not be returned.
We ask that you DO NOT contact our contractors/vendors directly. All work order requests must go through your management company first. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. We work to have great relationships with all of our tenants and hope you will find us friendly and easy to work with!
Please check your lease to find out how much notice you are required to give your management company. Red Wagon leases typically require a 60-day notice. ALL NOTICES TO VACATE MUST BE IN WRITING!
If you do not have a cleaning fee on file you are responsible for cleaning the property prior to vacating in addition to any other maintenance or repairs that might be considered against your deposit. A few examples of these standards include vacuming inside cabinets/drawers, cleaning light globes, cleaning under appliances, cleaning blinds, baseboards, fixtures, etc. as well as professionally cleaning the carpets. To ensure that the cleaning is done to our standards we would be happy to set up the cleanings with our vendors after you move out and deduct the charges from your security deposit. Basic cleanings range between $375 and $575 depending on square footage and the amount of carpet in the home. We are also happy to set you up directly with our vendors if you'd like to coordinate them yourself.
If you paid a non-refundable Cleaning Fee at the beginning of your lease we'd like to remind you that this cleaning fee is for a basic interior cleaning only and does not include any of the following:
- remove all trash & debris from property, interior and exterior
- repair any damages not noted on your original move-in condition form
- ensure all light bulbs, air filters, other filters, smoke alarm batteries or any other such items are in good, working condition
- ensure landscaping and lawn are in same or better condition when you moved in
- ensure salt levels are good in water softeners (if applicable)
- ensure pools/spas are in good condition
- replace any lost remotes or other access items
- please note the cleaning fee is not intended to be used for any exterior issues or common items such as stove drip pans, light bulbs, broken blinds, etc.
- Leave mailbox keys, garage remotes, any alarm codes/garage codes on the kitchen counter
- Notify Red Wagon of any changes to codes such as alarm or garage keypad codes
- Surrender the property by turning in your keys to our office during business hours, M-F 9am-5pm
- Stop utilities in your name effective the last day (NOTE: if you are terminating early you must leave utilities ON until you are notified otherwise - you are required to care for the property until the new tenant takes possession).
- Provide us with your forwarding address
We will schedule a third-party move out inspection to take place the day after you vacate. Scott's Inspections will go out to the property and give us a report of their findings. You will not be present, nor will Red Wagon. Scott's Inspections is there to observe and report and is NOT a part of the decision-making process when it comes to determining security deposit withholdings.
If you have fulfilled your lease obligations, Red Wagon will process your deposits within 30 days of the last date of your lease obligation as long as you have also provided the following:
- a notice to vacate in writing
- Surrender the property by turning in keys
- Provide a forwarding address
Please note that we typically process closest to the 30th day.
Also note that if you have abandoned or violated your lease, you forfeit your security deposit.
Here are some commonly requested forms:
Tenant Frequently Asked Questions+
You must first call and clear it with your landlord through Red Wagon. If the owner of the home consents to a pet you will need to sign a Pet Addendum and pay the required pet fee(s). You are not authorized to have a pet on the property until the fee is paid and the Pet Addendum is signed, so please begin this process BEFORE you bring your new pet home.
Go to redwagonproperties.com. Click on "rentals," find the property you are interested in, and click "apply for lease" and follow the prompts.